Height: 5-9 / 175 cms
Weight: 145 lbs / 66 kgs
High School: University High School ‘12
Hometown: Newark, New Jersey
USA Basketball Notes
- Named to the 2012 USA Basketball Women’s U18 National Team on May 21, 2012.
- Has signed a National Letter of Intent to attend and play for Syracuse University.
High School Honors & Recognition
- New Jersey All-State first team (2012).
- All-Essex County first team (2011, 2012).
- McDonald’s High School All-American (2012), had 12 points, four rebounds, two assists, two steals and one blocked shot in the 2012 McDonald’s High School All-America Game.
- All-New Jersey Group I first team (2011, 2012).
- USA Today All-USA second team (2012).
- All-Tri-State second team (2012).
- All-Super Essex Conference first team (2011, 2012) and
second team (2010)
- All-Newark Star-Ledger honorable mention (2009, 2010).
- NPS Holiday Tournament MVP (2012) and North/South All-Star MVP (2012).
High School Notes
- Played four varsity seasons at University High School in Newark, N.J., where she amassed 1,234 points, 532 rebounds, 140 assists, 132 steals and 102 blocked shots in her prep career.
- As a senior in 2011-12, averaged 18.1 ppg., 12.9 rpg.,
3.0 apg., 3.0 apg. and 2.1 bpg., as her team finished with a 14-11 record.
- As a junior in 2010-11, averaged 16.9 ppg., 8.2 rpg., 3.5 apg. and 3.2 spg. in helping her team to a 21-8 record.
- As a sophomore in 2009-10, averaged 15.0 ppg., 8.0 rpg.,
3.2 apg. and 4.0 spg. as University High went 20-7.
- Helped her team as a freshman in 2008-09 to an 18-11 mark, averaged 5.0 ppg. and 2.0 rpg.
- Played in the summer for Philadelphia Belles.
- Born on Feb. 7, 1994, goes by the nicknames 2% or Sykes.
- Daughter of Regina Sherrod and Michael Sykes; has two brothers, Michael (25) and Jeremy (24).
- University High School of the Humanities is a magnet school for academically gifted students.
- Was the 2012 Essex Award winner by the Men of Essex, which was was founded in 1958 to promote academics, athletics and community service among Essex County youth.
- Is a 2012 Seton Hall Upward Bound program scholar.
- Ranks in the top 25 academically in her class.
- Plays bass drum and trumpet in the school band and her high school jazz ensamble performed at Carnegie Hall.
- Wants to enroll in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communication at Syracuse and eventually work as an analyst for ESPN.
- Is a member of the University High’s MSG Varsity Communications team, has served in roles of commentator, photographer, and interviewer for the team.
- Started playing basketball when she was three years old, with her older cousins Anthony (24) Kinzy (21) and Auset (20) (current ages).
- Has exceeded her school’s
80-hour minimum of
community service required for graduation.
- Sidelined for one month at the beginning of her sophommore season after spraining her right MCL and missed the first five games of the season.
- Tweets under the handle @Sykes_20.
- This right-hander wears number 20 because she was a huge fan of Kristi Toliver when Toliver was at the University of Maryland; Toliver also wore No. 20.
- Favorite sport other than basketball: Bowling.
- Favorite food: Seafood.
- Favorite subject: Instrumental music.
- Favorite basketball player: Rajon Rondo.
- Favorite team: Boston Celtics.
- Favorite Olympian: Diana Taurasi.
- Most played song on iPod: “By Surprise” by Gemini Club or old school R&B.
- Piece of clothing you can’t live without: Socks.
- Best player ever faced: Moriah Jefferson.
- Most impressive person ever met: Breanna Stewart, because she is extremely humble and stays down to Earth while accomplishing amazing accolades.
- Player, past or present, you compare your game to: Coach Kelley Gibson and Deanna Nolan.
- Away from the court you enjoy: Sleeping, playing music and spending time with family.
- Most people don’t know: I’m a terrible procrastinator.
- Most interesting place you’ve visited: Las Vegas because of the sights. As a child you view Las Vegas in movies but seeing it in person is exciting.
- Superstitions: I do not like splitting poles with people.
- Top 5 movies of all time: Down to Earth, Love & Basketball,
all X-Men movies, Mr. & Mrs Smith, Finding Nemo.
- Favorite Gatorade flavor: Cool Blue
- Favorite non-sports mag: National Geographic.
- Favorite sports mag: Sports Illustrated (College).
- I have a: male German Shepard named Cooper.
- If you could drive anything, it would it be: a black Jaguar.
- I currently drive: a red Cherokee.
- Favorite Twitter account you follow: @AboutAquarius.
- Batman or Superman? Superman.
- Indoor or beach volleyball? Beach.
- Sprints or long-distance running? Sprints.
- Cricket or lawn bowling? Cricket.
- Scrabble or Words with Friends? Words with Friends.
- Favorite app: Instagram.
- Most memorable moments from the 2008 Olympics: I can remember watching Michael Phelps winning eight gold medals and how he took over the swimming world.
- Favorite 2012 U.S. Olympic Women’s Basketball Team members: Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird, “but I love the team they put together this year.”