Height: 6-8 / 200 cms
Weight: 195 lbs / 88 kgs
School: Wichita Heights High School -12
Hometown: Wichita, Kansas
As of April 22, 2009
USA Basketball Notes
- Named to the 2009-10 USA Basketball Men's Developmental National Team on May 28, 2009.
- Lists Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Memphis, North Carolina and Oklahoma among his college choices.
High School Honors
- Honored as the 2009 Kansas Gatorade Player of the year, the first freshman in Kansas to win the award.
- Named to the Wichita Eagle 2009 All-State and All-Metro first teams, the first freshman ever to be named to the Wichita Eagle's All-State first team.
- Selected to the Topeka Capital Journal 2009 All-State first team, becoming the first freshman to ever earn the honor.
- A 2009 Greater Wichita Athletic League (GWAL) All-City first team honoree.
- Named 2009 VYPE Magazine Kansas Class 6A All-Area first team.
- Named 2009 Kansas Class 6A All-State first team by the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association.
High School Notes
- Attends Wichita Heights High School (Kan.), where he helped lead his team to a 24-1 record, including 16-0 in the GWAL, and the Kansas Class 6A State Tournament crown; averaged 19.2 ppg., 11.7 rpg. and 1.3 apg. and shot 61.4 percent from the field and 65.2 percent from the line as a freshman in 2008-09.
- Recorded 20 rebounds, nine points, three assists and one block in the 73-58 victory against Southeast in the Class 6A state final.
Complied 479 points and 293 rebounds in 25 games as a freshman.
- The state tournament title was the first for Wichita Heights in 32 years, since 1977, and it was the first time since 1985 that the team ran the table in league play.
- Wichita Heights finished ranked No. 48 nationally and No. 7 in the Southwest Region on the ESPN Rise Fab 50 listing.
- Plays in the summer for Team Kansas Players AAU.
- Played for Brooks Middle School (Kan.), where he was 6-1 in the seventh grade and 6-6 in the eighth grade.
- Also competes in track and field, finished third in the city championship in the 200m, was first in the AAU Kansas state
championship in the long jump and owns the regional long jump record.
The Personal Scoop
- Born Sept. 14, 1993, in his hometown of Wichita, Kan.
- Son of Fonda and Will Ellis; has two brothers, Cameron (12) anmd Brae (13) and one sister, Savannah (19).
- Sister will be a junior on the Memphis basketball team in the fall, father and an uncle played college basketball, and has a cousin who played college football.
- A member of his high school's honor roll, holds a 4.0 GPA, which ranks first in his class.
- Several members of his family are in the military, including aunt and uncle, Bob and Cassandra Ellis, and cousins Brandye Ellis and Iman Ellis.
- Appeared in several national publications, including Sports Illustrated for Kids (02/08), Slam (04/09) and Dime (05/09).
- Favorite sport other than basketball: track and field.
- Favorite food: shrimp.
- Favorite magazine: any basketball magazine.
- Favorite personal motto: be humble and hungry.
- Favorite basketball player of all-time: LeBron James.
- Favorite team: Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Favorite non-basketball Olympian: Maurice Greene.
- Strangest place ever played hoops: on a driveway in Rock Valley, Iowa.
- Best player I've ever faced: several plaeyrs at the Reebok U Camp.
- I want to play one-on-one against: LeBron James.
- Always at my bedside is: my cell phone.
- Always in my fridge: milk.
- One piece of clothing I can't live without: gym shorts.
- Most interesting place ever visited: Cocoa Beach, Fla.
- Away from basketball I enjoy: playing Xbox 360 online with friends.
- Can't live without: family.
- Most people don't know: I like to draw and I'm good at it.
- Wears No. 34 because he grew up liking Shaquille O'Neal.